Welcome to Tatiana Popova`s BLOG, dedicated to silk ribbon embroidery and lots of other things about it.
Here you will find new items by Little Owl SmartCrafts, information about forthcoming products and designs, see some ribbon embroidery in process, learn more about ribbon stitces and techniques. The photos of pieces of art which were represented on this or that Craft Show all around the world will be also awailable in my Blog. I am going to place here some fresh ideas and items for inspiration as well. Our new ribbon embroidery kits and books on silk ribbon embroidery will be also announced here, as well as some information about Little Owl ribbon embroidery contest and workshops. Well, in fact, there will be a lot more...
Whishing everybody a pleasant time while browsing articles of my Blog.
Studying a book on ribbon embroidery
There is a book on silk ribbon embroidery. One of dozens, still it has all the necessary information for beginners. It is Silk Ribbon and Embroidery by Tatiana Popova (follow the link). [The book is going to be translated into English].
You will learn all the necessary things about
- instruments and material for ribbon embroidery,
- the ways of transfering a picture onto the fabric in order to make a printed pannel ready to embroider,
- ribbon embroidery techniques,
- and even about some thread stitches which are beautiful compliment to silk ribbon.
To have some practice and become more skillfull, there are 16 designs for ribbon embroidery for different skill level.
The designs for advanced embroidery masters may be used both for inspiration and as a source of author`s ideas and techniques.
Thus Silk Ribbon and Embroidery book by Tatiana Popova is "fully packed" with useful information. Here are some advice on the best ways to use it. It will help to make the self-teaching process even more effective.
Firstly, it is desirable to study the very first Chapter of the book at the beginning. Some stitches are given the author`s names for they are either created by the author of the book or have too many different names existing in the world of embrodery. Therefore a sort of "secret language" for stitches appeares in the book.
Then, please note that it is not obligatory to start practicing with designs of Beginner skill level. Choose any design of the book you like best! It will make much more perfect result if you enjoy working on the design. Still, if Beginner level makes you feel more comfortable, choose it without hasitation.
Moreover, I do recommend to at least look through the instructions to those book designs which you ARE NOT going to embroider. The reason is quite simple: every embroidered desing in the book includes some author`s tips in silk ribbon embroidery which might be useful for your future projects. E. g. the tip to embroider sunflowers :)
Finaly if you start doing an Intermediate or Advanced project, please pay attention to the list of stitches for that design given in the begining of the instructions. The list of stitches in alphabetic order shown at the end of the book is very helpful. Use it every time you have forgotten any of the stitches or doubt about how to work them.
For your future projects: please take into consideration that the methods of working flowers which are given in the book can be applied to any other items in future. Besides, the elements of flower bouquets and garlands can be combined together in any way you would like to, thus creating your own ribbon embroidery designs!
1. There is a list of ribbon embroidery kits given at the end of the book Silk Ribbon and Embroidery by Tatiana Popova. Welcome to order any of them via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. There is a list of the books used by the author at page 145. I do recommend it as perfect sources to study ribbon embroidery.
3. Pages 138-142 show the photos for transferring and making printed pannels. Study how to do it (pages 14-15).
4. For your future projects there are advice on making flower compositions and some ideas on embrodiering landscapes (pages 131 and 134).
5. I strongly recommend to overcome "The First Step Phobia" to enjoy the wonderful process of dying silk ribbon (see the instructions on page 132).
Have a nice day and see you soon in my Blog again!